The presence of a water heater is quite common in recent days, and hence every user must pay thoughtfulness to the maintenance of this product. Most of the users of water of heater are unaware of proper processes of protecting this device. Well, no such hard techniques are to follow. It is just necessary to get an idea of some simple and secure methods for up-keeping of this product.
At first, it is necessary to know how these water heaters work. Water is pumped into this device, and hence, usually, dirt or sediments will settle on the bottom of the heater. You may also notice that some extra ingredients will be added depending on the quality of water. In such a case, it is necessary to clean the additional components immediate to avoid huge expenses in the long run. To end the task, you will need to have one hose, a bucket, and gloves for protection.
Here you can take some simple guidelines for better protection of the water heater.
- It is necessary to place a shut-off valve so that water cannot get seized.
- If you want to install a gas water heater, then you need to set a gas valve. This valve will keep away the burners during the flushing process. Other than gas heaters if you are willing to use the electric one, then the circuit breakers are required to be turned off during the maintenance process.
- Users of gas heaters must pay attention that the chimney works perfectly to flow the air. While you will light a match, you need to watch whether the smoke is going up or not.
- Now, it is the correct time to test the relief of the temperature. To examine what you need to keep a bucket just below the extension pipe and the valve is to be opened. Till the valves are kept open, the water should have flowed properly. As soon as the valves are closed, the rain should stop flowing. To check the recommended setting, you need to set a thermostat.
- Another important point on which you need to pay attention is the pilot light. The pilot light must remain steady, and it should turn blue.
- Now it is necessary to check whether the burners are operating correctly or not and you can do this by removing the shield. To do that you will also need to turn up the thermostat and take a look at the flames are burning blue or steady.
- While carrying on the sediment cleaning process, it is necessary to use a garden hose and fix it to the bottom of the drain valve. Another end is to be attached to the drain near to the floor.
During the cleaning process, it is also necessary to follow some safety tips. Every user must be careful as the water will remain boiling. You should not forget to turn down the thermostat so that the supply of the cold water can get stopped. You should keep the pressure relief valve opened, and by lifting the lever, it is necessary to keep the thermostat opened.
Well, those above are some essential DIY tips for water heater maintenance.