We agree it could be very irritating to hear the continuous noisy garbage disposal machine. But, do not panic; there are ways to reduce the noise or totally get rid of it. What is most embarrassing is when you are expecting guests at home for a night stay. You cannot leave the food scrap post dinner to give them a smelly kitchen the next morning.
One of the main reasons why your machine may be making sounds is because of the debris, foreign object, or hard part of food jammed in the blades. Mostly, these are the reasons why you get to hear those weird and noisy sounds from your garbage disposal machine.
What to do if your garbage disposal is making noises?
- Disconnect the power as soon as you hear the sound. You must know that the drainage pipe is not able to flush the food bits from the disposal machine.
- The check-up on the unit will be model basis. For instance, in some models you may have to rotate the grinding plate with the support of a wooden level. In other models, a wrench is used from the bottom of the unit.
- Check if your plate or blade has become defective. Sometimes, a defective blade could lead to noisy machines. Unfortunately, in some models you may have to replace the entire unit as replacing the blades is not possible in selected garbage disposal models.
- Clean the garbage disposal unit properly. You may use little soapy water and let the garbage disposal motor run for at least 2 minutes. Post, run it slowly with cold water. This must sort out your problem.
- Remove the hard bones, cut the uncut food into smaller parts and put it in the garbage disposal again to see if it continues to make noise.
What you cannot put in garbage disposal when Garbage disposal machine is noisy?
- Avoid grinding glass ware, plastic pieces, wooden spoons and forks in the unit.
- Do not put paper plates for grinding in your garbage disposal.
- Do not dispose cigarette butts and other greasy or oily stuff.
- Avoid putting bones of bigger animals like pork and beef.
- Avoid putting bleach and other strong cleaning agents.
- Keep your disposal clean with the ice therapy. Simply by tossing few ice cubes in the unit and running it will help sharpen the blades. Follow this practice at least twice in a month.
- Choose reliable Borax over strong bleach and drain agents. Borax acts like a natural sanitizer.
- Avoid putting potato skin and peels. The starch caused by these peels may build a strong paste and stick to the blades making it ineffective.
- Other food items to be avoided include onion skin, artichokes, husks, celery stalks, and more… These stuck the blades from moving smoothly.
If you need a professional advice on reducing the sound or noise of your garbage disposal machine, call the customer service of a reliable centre and they will assist you further. Check out the other tips on how to maintain your garbage disposal machine intact.